Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Water Reflections

As a follow up to my last post, Runneth Over, I must acknowledge a valid question that swells within me after I read an inspirational devotion.  "HOW?!"  Sure it's great to encourage each other to be filled with the Living Water and not fill ourselves with meaningless substitutes, but how do we drink Living Water?  It sounds so abstract and unpractical!  Granted, I am incapable of fully answering the 'how to' question, nonetheless I would like to peel back a few layers and explore what it means to fill our souls with Jesus, the One who satisfies.

Water is a common theme that constantly seems to be in the back of my mind.  MainStream, this blog's title, is based on the idea of water, which goes to show that I am often noticing the imagery, the meaning, and the significance that water plays in the many facets of my life.  One of the characteristics of water that I have been thinking about is water's ability to reflect.  When water is still, it can be used as a mirror.  By gazing into our reflection that is cast upon the Living Water, I believe God paints a magnificent portrait that tells God's personal story of grace in each of our lives.  Our reflection that is captured in the Living Water bears three elements in our faith journey.





  1. Behind us (our past):  Isn't it interesting how movies use reflections in the water to signify what is behind the character?  Looking at our reflection in the Living Water sheds light on where we have come from and what God has saved us from.  I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done [even in my own life]. - {Psalm 143:5 NIV}
  2. Inside us (our present): The Source of Life dwells within us and produces good things like love and joy and peace.  As we peer into the mirror of Living Water, we can see how God is working in us a good work that is beautiful and we are able to see what is coming from behind us that attempts to take our focus off the Living Water. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.  Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - {2 Corinthians 4:12, 16, 18 NIV}
  3. Before us (our future): Our image reflected by the Living Water projects hope.  In light of eternity, the worries of this world will not withstand; therefore, we must intentionally and consciously invest in what matters most. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -{Philippians 3:13-14}
When we look at our spiritual reflection in anything other than the Living Water, we will only see ourselves in a hard world where it's all about me.  Paul described what it is like for us when we do not find see ourselves in the Living water: For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. -{Philippians 3:18-19}

So again, you (like me) are begging the question, "How?!  How do we fill up our souls with Christ?"  Like I said before, I really cannot answer that question completely, but for starters, why not just take a simple look into your reflection in the Living Water. 

(Behind) What is your response to our Savior who rescued you?  Is there even an inkling of thanksgiving that erupts just at the mere thought of where you would be without Christ, His love, and His providential hand in your life?

(Inside) What is God stirring in your heart today?  The Awesome Creator continues to care about you and He desires for you to grow in Him and His love.

(Before) Assured by the security of heaven through Christ, we can be free from the anxiety that ties us to this painful and dangerous world.  We have a hope that reaches beyond our fears which enables us to live victoriously in surrendered obedience to the Father by loving others through Christ.

How do we drink the Living Water?  Let's start by kneeling beside the still Living Water and leaning over to see our reflection.  Who knows, upon first glance into the Living Water, we might have the urge to plunge into His never-ending love and free flowing satisfaction!






but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." - {John 4:14 NIV}

0 Spout:

Post a Comment