Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Runneth Over

"...my cup runneth over."  
Psalms 23:5


I always imagine that David's overflowing cup from Psalms 23:5 is full of water.  I have also considered that the water in his cup is splashing out and blessing others.  The question recently crossed my mind, "What is in my cup?"  What am I filling my cup with and what is splashing out effecting others?  I am ashamed to say that the Living Water is not at the top of my list for what I pour into my life.  I fill up on a few "Like's" from Facebook, an innocent morsel of chocolate, the headline news, a chapter from the latest leisure book, a swig of coffee, you name it!  And as the saying goes "What goes in must come out"; therefore, whatever it is I am filling myself with overflows to the people around me.  If I am not pouring life and eternal things into my mind and heart, then it's pretty much guaranteed that I am spilling out insignificant, temporary fixes which ultimately result in spiritual death.

In his book SoulTalk, Larry Crabb says that when we experience a personal revival in our relationship with Christ we are able "to become an unkinked hose through which the power of Christ’s power can flow.”  What are the 'kinks' in your spiritual hose?  What is taking the rightful place of the Living Water in your cup?

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. - {Luke 6:45 NIV}

0 Spout:

Post a Comment