Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fire in my Bones

But if I say, "I will not mention Him [God] or speak any more in His [God's] name," His [God's] word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot. Jeremiah 20:9
Google images
To say the least, Jeremiah had a hard job. God commanded Jeremiah to tell His people the Truth. Jeremiah spoke to God's people about their rebellious, disloyal ways and God's impending judgment and consequences they would experience as a result of their sin. (Not a very popular message, eh? I mean, really, how often do we hear this kind of sermon from the pulpit? "You're in trouble, Church! God is going to punish you for forsaking Him!" No, that's not a 'churchy' thing to preach.)


Obviously, Jeremiah faced rejection everywhere he turned. The people were not fond of him nor his message and Jeremiah grew tired of telling people the brutal Truth. BUT! He couldn't help it. Jeremiah's passion for GOD could not be restrained. God's life-changing, powerful reality was etched upon his heart and there was no use resisting. Jeremiah had to obey God no matter the cost.


I started thinking about this 'fire shut up in my bones' and I asked myself, "What am I so passionate about that I cannot contain it?" Jeremiah's fire was God and His word. I tend to be passionate about myself. Pretty pathetic compared to God! I suppose my passion fizzles out so quickly because the fire in me is not lasting. Jesus is the ONLY lasting fire that cannot be put out.
For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. Deuteronomy 4:24
God, consume our hearts. Set our hearts on fire, for Your fire cannot be extinguished.

0 Spout:

Post a Comment