Thursday, November 10, 2011

Separation Anxiety

You would think after having three kids (all of whom struggled emotionally when separated from their mommy) that I would give in to the notion that my kids have experienced some form of separation anxiety albeit mild or extreme. In oblivious denial, I recently faced the stark reality that my two-year old exhibited obvious signs of  separation anxiety when, every time I left the room, he let out a blood curdling scream. Over and over as soon as I removed myself from his sight, the echos of a distraught little fellow resonated off our hallway walls.  Before long, I marched my dignified, motherly-self right back to the place where the little rascal howled and I carefully spoke these words to my son, "Even when you can't see me, I'm still here, buddy."  The frizzle-frazzled two-year old tantrum faded into the back of my mind and the gentle whisper of my loving Heavenly Father flooded into the forefront of my mind, "Even when you can't see me, I'm still here, child."  At that moment, God made Himself clearly apparent; not just His existence but also His character.  I suppose that the Psalmist was cognizant of this same truth about God when he penned the lyrics "...an ever-present help in trouble" (Psalms 46:1).  EVER-PRESENT HELP.  Yep, that just about says it.


Often in times we do not 'see' God, we throw a two year-old fit and howl out a faithless prayer like "Why aren't you here, God?" Instead of ignoring or reprimanding us, God remains true, faithful, present, EVER ready, and available to help us just like a mother would her child. We tend to experience separation anxiety when we think God's nearness is untouchable, but the truth of the matter is that He is ever-present and real and ready to help us in our time of need.  Our only job is to trust Him and what He says is true. 


Do you really believe what God says is true?  If so, you can trust that He is real and present in your life.  That truth alone relieves a little bit of anxiety, eh?

1 Spout:

Thanks for the reminder that God is always near even when I can't see Him!

Post a Comment