Thursday, October 6, 2011

Prayerful Humility vs. Prayerless Pride

If it's not one thing it's another thing.  Have you ever felt that way?  If it's not the laundry, it's the toilets.  If it's not the vacuuming, it's the dusting.  If it's not the phone, it's the email.  If it's not the dog, it's the kids.  If it's not the kids, it's the husband.  If it's not yard, it's the grocery store.  And on and on and on.


For me, in my spiritual life, I've struggled with if it's not prayer, it's pride.  My prayer life recently has looked a lot like this:


At work, a distraught patient calls in tears.  I do not know how to help her.  So I pray: "God, I need Your help."  And guess what, God helps me help her.

At home, I feel pulled in twenty different directions and I don't know where to start.  So I pray, "God, I need Your help."  Lo and behold, God helps me do what is set before me.

At night, when I am tired and ready to call it a day I get a call from someone who is going through a storm in her life.  I have nothing to offer her.  So I pray, "God I need Your help."  You guessed right, God helps me help her.

The more I talk to God about more areas of my life, the more I see God work in more areas of my life.

At first, I was struggling through prayerlessness, then I faced the temptation of pride.  I started getting so comfortable with God answering prayer and life feeling good that I began to feel good about myself and I became lax about acknowledging to God that I need Him. If it's not one thing it's another thing.  Then I stopped praying as often and little by little I began to feel weak and needy, which is a good thing because I was again reminded to turn to the Lord for much needed help.

We need You, Lord Jesus!  Help us!


0 Spout:

Post a Comment