Sunday, July 10, 2011

Special Assignment

Has anyone else out there ever wanted a "special" assignment from God?  I am not sure where I get it-- possibly a quality that is associated with my perfomance-base personality, however, it is a mindset that diverts my attention from important matters.  When I seek a "calling", or a job, or an extrodinary mission in life, I am not seeking God.


Noah's Ark Replica
 Think about all the major characters of the Bible whom God called to a special assignment.  God told them to "Build a gi-normous boat for the mamoth flood that no one believes is coming", "Kill your son", "Fight a giant", "Marry a prostitute", "Live in the wilderness, eat honey and bugs", and "Die for no reason but for the the people who have hurt you the most".  Now, go back and read the above list and choose which of the assignments you would like to do.  Personally, I do not want to do ANY of those assignments.  For someone who really likes to make the cut, I would rather go nameless in history than to be asked to do something so radical. 


God does not call everyone to build an ark, live in the wilderness, or marry a prostitute.  Nevertheless, he does make His "calling" clear when he commands us to "love our enemy" (who may very well live under the same roof with us), "give generously", "submit to our husbands", "teach our children the Word", "go the extra mile", "be content", "have faith", and many other viable instructions.  The catch is that we do them.


When the pastor spoke about peacemaking in church this past Sunday, I thought to myself how much I toil to keep peace in the world, but how little I work to keep peace in my own home.  Sometimes we need to start close to home before we seek to do good out in the world.  "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much..."(Luke 16:10).  We must first strive to obey commands we have already been given to be ready for God's special, specific assignments.

"...a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.
{2 Timothy 2:21}

0 Spout:

Post a Comment