Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Overwhelmed?

Just recently my husband and I had an “Ah-Ha!” moment and we realized that for years we have been living a defeated life because of how “overwhelmed” we were feeling.  We both agreed that Satan had cleverly wooed us into being ineffective –we were completely deceived.  You see, when we found ourselves overwhelmed by the mundane, daily strains and crossroads in life, we lazily receded into apathetic passivity.  We realized that we were even avoiding simple things like reading a book to our children or inviting a neighbor boy in our home to play as a consequence of our brittle constitutions.  Since we felt so overwhelmed, we just did not do anything.  Beth Moore says that "The enemy's hope for Christians is that we will either be so ineffective we have no testimony, or we'll ruin the one we have."  Jesus said in John 10:10 that “The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy.  My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.” 
What a difference it has made in my life to recognize that the enemy wants me to feel overwhelmed and to cower in defeat; he wants to steal from me the privilege of participating in God's work in my home, in my neighborhood, in my church, in my city, in my world.  When I acknowledge that I am overwhelmed, then I can turn to God and confess my weakness to God--I cannot do this, but I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13), when I am weak, He is strong, and I can remember that God says "[His] power is made perfect in weakness" (1 Corinthians 12:9).
Overwhelmed?  That's okay!  When you are overwhelmed, let it be a reminder that "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world" (1 John 4:4).

1 Spout:

Recently, I complained to the Lord, "I am overwhelmed!" Immediately in my spirit, I believe the Lord replied, "No you're not!" I smiled and said, "You're right. I am busy, but I am NOT overwhelmed!" :)

Post a Comment