Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Empty Jars

Years ago our pastor challenged us to step beyond barbeques, porch swings and curb-hugging hostas and outreach to our neighbors. I, for one, am a curb-hugger. I prefer my comfortable cocoon, so when someone challenges me to spread wings and fly into unknown territory, I'm taken aback. My instinct is to circle wings and cling tighter to four walls.

But I chose to step out in faith and I've never looked back. It's been an adventure. Just yesterday my elderly neighbor confessed she's drifted from the faith. Through this revelation I was able to sympathize and tell her I've been there. Now there's a Bible on her nightstand.

A bridge replaced a gap between lawns.

It wasn't my words that made a difference, it was my actions. John Maxwell says, "People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care."

I used to take pride in my independence, my self-reliance, and my self-sufficiency. But God has been showing me lately that my I am an Island mentality is nothing less than pride and selfishness. "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it." 1 Corinthians 12:27.

We need each other.

Ever read a story or passage from the Bible you've never read or seen before? That's been happening a lot to me lately and it's so exciting!

Today I was reading in 2 Kings chapter 4 about a newly widowed woman whose sons are about to become slaves to pay her debtors. In despair she beseeches the prophet Elisha for help and advice. He inquires about items of worth in her house. She replies, "Your servant has nothing there at all, except a little oil."

Olive oil was a valuable and necessary commodity in ancient Israel. It had many practical uses, from the holy to the mundane. It was used for various anointings, for medicative purposes, for cooking, and to fuel lamps for light. Notice she says, "Your servant has nothing there at all...except a little oil." This widow had barely enough oil for herself, how could it be useful? She disparages what little she has, but God has a plan!

Aren't we like this doubting widow? We question our resources, our talents, our seemingly unworthy nothingness. We wonder how God can use our sack lunch, our crumbs, to feed thousands of famished strangers (Matthew 14:13-21). Yet He does, miraculously!

Elisha tells the woman to "Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don't ask for just a few. Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side." She does as he instructs and jars are filled to the brim with oil. She sells them, pays her debt and lives off the remainder.

Can you imagine yourself in dire financial straits, every Nosey Nelly knowing you're bankrupt and yet you need to humble yourself and beg door-to-door for spare change? Wouldn't be easy, would it? Yet that's how this widow must have felt. She could have chosen to sit behind locked doors with 'shades' drawn and wall herself off from her community as she wallowed in grief, but she didn't. She acted in faith and humbled herself by reaching out. It took humility. It took transparency. It took heartache. In doing so this widow gave others the opportunity to cooperate in God's work in her life, as well.

Her boldness, humility and faith saved her sons from slavery and herself from destitution.

This story speaks so clearly to me. We aren't meant to carry our burdens ourselves. We must not build isolating picket fences in our hearts distancing others because our pride won't admit we need them. If I plaster on Sunday school smiles every time Debbie Downer has Susie Sunshine in a chokehold or always wave passively to passerby from my air-conditioned SUV, I'm not being real and transparent or allowing others to be real and transparent with me. I'm not serving anyone by mask wearing and retreating. I might even hinder and interfere with God's plan to bless my friends and neighbors by broadcasting His faithfulness through burdens shared and answered prayer.

It takes humble hearts to remove masks and say "I need you." Maybe in doing so, we can give others permission to remove their masks and say they need us, also. It's not a sign of weakness, but of strength...HIS strength flowing through our weakness. In turn, we become blessings as God pours out through our emptying.

We are the body of Christ to believers and unbelievers.

In the hustle and bustle of our busy lives, it's easy to become self-absorbed, cynical and superficial. Let's reach beyond manicured lawns and nails and get to know others on a deeper level.

When our neighbor's lantern's oil runs low, lets shine our light and become beacons of hope amidst the darkness.

Let's speak words of encouragement to the weary and heavy laden.

Let's anticipate our neighbors' empty jars before they come knocking on our door.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31 

0 Spout:

Post a Comment