Saturday, June 25, 2011

Parenting Tip: One-On-One Time

Some of the most important things in life are so obvious but often overlooked.  Every now and then, we need a reminder that simply makes the point.  For instance:






A little extra reinforcement gets our attention and maybe even drives the point home.  As a mother of three young children, I need parenting guidance and advice that may seem rather obvious to most people but a simple reminder gets my attention. 


When I first became a parent, I was seriously oblivious to the obvious.  I did not realize some obvious things you should do as a parent, like brush you daughter's matted hair, or put shoes on your baby in the winter, or teach your child to buckle his seat belt all by himself.  As I listened to other experienced parents and observed other mothers, I began to incorporate some practical parenting habits that were a bit obvious to most people, but somehow I had overlooked.  There did come a point that I felt like I needed to hang up a sign that said:

Have you ever felt that way?

This will make you feel better; it did me!

Now that's pretty obvious!


Aside from the silliness, not too long ago, I read a book called Recreate by Ron Luce.  Through the book, I discovered a simple, obvious parenting tip that is such a treasure in our family.  Ron Luce calls it one-on-one time; we call it "Mommy Fun Time".  We intentionally schedule a time that I take one of the kids out to have some fun.  This practice is especially beneficial to families who have multiple children.  Just today I took my five-year old son to play Frisbee golf for less than an hour.  We ran, raced, laughed, competed; we had a ball!  I was completely devoted to and focused on him; and for that moment pouring all the love I had on him.  We did not have a profound conversation (although it's okay if you do) and I did not lecture him about one single thing, but we did make a meaningful memory and a bonding connection.


I highly recommend one-on-one time!  It sounds so obvious, but how often do we do it as parents?  What other ideas do you have that can help us as parents connect and love our children in a personal way?


1 John 3:18 says,
Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

3 Spout:

So true Rebecca. I do this with Peyton all the time. I fail in doing this with my teen boys. My intentions are there but life always seems to get in the way. Something I am going to work on this year. I have only 2 years left with my oldest at home.

Today my six-year-old son and I went to the Judah festival for 4 1/2 hours and had a blast! He bounced in six different bouncies; I bought some cute earrings; we listened to Karaoke singers and a live band; I ate sweet corn and tempura; he ate french fries; we drank lemonade; we watched a parade and he collected candy the participants threw his way; we got sunburnt! Tomorrow we're going to see a movie together and maybe have some pool time. It's easier in the summertime to find time together. I need to be more intentional during the school year, also. Thanks for the reminder!

Your good post also reminded me how much our heavenly Father enjoys one-on-one time with His kids. :)

Post a Comment