Saturday, June 18, 2011

Do Small Things With Great Love



"What I do you cannot do; but what you do, I cannot do. The needs are great, and none of us, including me, ever do great things. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful." - Mother Teresa

Sometimes I feel miniscule. I am swallowed up by this big ol' world, rejected and spit from its mouth like a worthless watermelon seed. No matter how hard I try, some individuals always pronounce me guilty. I feel like a puzzle piece trying to squeeze myself perfectly into that empty spot, but I'm constantly rejected. My edges are bruised, frayed and torn as a result. I never fit. I'm the wrong piece, wrong color, wrong shape.


I'm tired of trying to fit in.

Besides, it's not my job to fill someone's empty places. I can't fix what is broken. I can't mend what's frayed. Only God can. It's His job, not mine. 


When others cut deep with their words because I choose to stop playing God, I remind myself: I don't belong to this world. This is not my home. I am only a tourist, passing through. The Judge (Jesus) , The Ringleader (Holy Spirit/Comforter) and Master Gardener (G0d) are my guides. It is these Three whom I serve and pledge my allegiance. I cannot place anyone above God in my life and I cannot try to be anyone's God. That's a burden too heavy to carry, so I must walk away and leave my stethoscope, defibrillator and bandages behind. The rejection comes and stabs its blades deep into my heart. I bleed, but the Master Healer is nearby, so I will learn to breathe again. I may feel battered, broken, and bruised, but as long as I continue to kneel at the foot of the cross, I will always find my way and never get lost. This heart will heal and I trust it in His hands. In this dark, cold and foreign land, The Judge, Ringleader and Master Gardener are my lamp, my shelter and my compass. I am never alone, abandoned or forgotten as long as these Three abide in me. My orphaned heart has found its home.

The Judge lowers His gavel: innocent of all charges. 
The Ringleader shouts through the megaphone: I belong under His Big Top.
My seeds always bear fruit in the Master Gardener's hands.

I don't need to prove my worthiness; He already did. I am worthy because He says I am. I am His child. His precious daughter. I am adopted into His family. I have been given a new name, Hephzibah: "My delight is in her." I am spotless, forgiven, cleansed, pure, holy and accepted.

Just as I am. Always. I don't need the world to confirm it. 

That's freedom! 

I am only one, but I can make a difference...because of The One within me.

Dear children, you belong to God. So you have won the victory over these people, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4

Out of His abundant love my spirit overflows:
to do small things with great love.

  • Like bringing flowers to a stranger who tragically lost her husband.
  • Like buying a brand-spanking-new bike for a neglected 10-year-old boy who has never had one.
  • Like making this painting for my elderly and childless Catholic neighbor who loves on my son.


The closer I grow to God the more I begin to:
...pray for my enemies.
...refuse to let seeds of bitterness take root.
...choose to extend grace. 
I want to view the world through His eyes, reach out to others with His hands and touch others with His heart. Not because I need to their approval or acceptance, but because I already am approved and accepted. I want the recipient to feel His redemption and grace as I have. I want others to see Jesus in me. I want to be His eyes, His hands, His feet. 

Because only I can do what God has called me to do.

And His is the only voice I will heed. All others are mute. 

In His eyes I'm the perfect piece, perfect color, perfect shape.

For His perfect plan.


I'm an imperfect person, perfectly loved by a perfect God.


"For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His." 2 Chronicles 16:9

"He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few." Luke 10:2

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Matthew 5:44


"Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ... The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor." 1 Corinthians 12:12 & 21-23




0 Spout:

Post a Comment