Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Choose Virtue Over Vice

Life is all about choices. We make a plethora of decisions daily without a second thought. Most are auto-piloted, robotic and routine. We don't deliberate over the mundane. Most of our decisions are made unbridled, with loose reigns, and without reserve. 


Sometimes it's beneficial to 'be slow to speak' as the Bible says or we may go about our days with our toxic tongue's tail wagging behind us.


Or we may be caught with that tail between our legs. Either way we're bound to trip.


"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." James 1:19


Ever been around someone who can't control their tongue or wrath? They spew toxic venom whenever they open their mouth and are quick to raise fists and pummel anyone who stands in their way? A raised hand raised me, so I know how it feels firsthand. I had welts upon my body from the belt they beat against my alabaster skin. One too many times. It was not a pretty picture. I choose to forgive today because I don't want their bitterness to rub off on me. I don't want to scar my precious son by carrying wounds that have never healed. He and my husband deserve all of me, 100 percent, WHOLE and I intend to give it to them. 

No matter what the cost.


Sometimes God calls us to do painful things in our lives. Healing may be one of them (or walking away from an abusive relationship.) There is a difference between wallowing in self-pity and allowing God to heal our broken hearts. The Bible says 'mourn with those who mourn.' Next time you are tempted to hand your brokenhearted sister a used Kleenex from your pocket, offer them your arms instead. Let them weep on your shoulder and don't leave until their eyes are dry.


Several years ago I ordered a free bracelet. It was designed as a tool for people to monitor their success at eradicating complaining from their lives. The goal is to wear the purple band on one wrist and try to go 21 consecutive days complaint-free. If you find yourself griping, you switch wrists and start over. The Founder, Rev. Will Bowen, thought of the bracelet in 2006 to help make the world a better place. His idea exploded and more than 6 million purple Complaint Free bracelets have been sent to people in over 106 countries.


Fast forward five years and I'm still waiting for my free bracelet to arrive. My question is:


Should I complain?


I considered it; however, the organization probably doesn't have a complaint department, so what's the use.


Instead, I decided to wear my own bracelet, not purple, but 24-karat gold. And for the next 21 days I will refrain from complaining. I will choose virtue over vice. (Please add me to your prayer requests!) Especially on Sunday. Sometimes our sinful nature rears its ugly head when we least expect it...as we're approaching or circling church parking lots!

 'Why is that person driving so S-L-O-W?
'Why aren't they signaling?'
 'Whoa! did I just run over the pastor?' 


I will pray God transforms my heart as he conforms my mind. Every time my brain is tempted to poison my tongue with venom, either about myself or someone else, I will choose to hold that thought captive and replace it with words that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy.


One day this filtering may become second nature and I won't give complaints and criticisms a second thought. 


Wouldn't that be nice?


I don't know if I can change the entire world, but at least I will impact my immediate world. And that's the best place to start: in my own backyard.


*I wrote this post before church Sunday and guess what the pastor challenged the congregation to do? Memorize Phil. 4:8: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." 


"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:4-5.


"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2


"Do all things without grumbling or disputing; that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world..." Phil. 2:14-16

A Complaint Free World People complain to everyone except the person who can resolve their issue and then can't understand why the situation doesn't improve.
A Complaint Free World Complaining can be thinly disguised bragging. People complain about others to subtly say, "See? I don't have their character flaws."

A Complaint Free World When you complain, you take your fears and give them form.

3 Spout:

DAY ONE - OF NO COMPLAINING!! Only 20 more to go. Am memorizing Phil 4:8. Saw crumbs on the floor today that Austin dropped and instead of complaining I said, 'THANK YOU, GOD, that I have a little boy and these crumbs remind me. One day he'll be grown and living under another roof and I'll miss him...THANK YOU, Lord, for crumbs."

I decided to start making a habit of writing down at least one "high" from my day. By Sunday, I will have at least six specific things to offer to God--something like a thank offering. I thought that kinda of fit into your "20 Days of No Complaining". How's it going, btw?

-rebecca

It's hard not to complain, but I catch myself when I do it now! That's half the battle, just recognizing bad habits. We can't change anything unless we acknowledge it first, amen? I like your 'praise journal' offering to God! Great idea!!

Post a Comment