Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother of Pearls

Let's be honest, mothering is a thankless job. There are no promotions, no holiday bonuses, no end-of-the-week paychecks, no raises, no Going the Extra Mile awards, no sick days, no vacations and no leave of absences. There is no thunderous applause at the end of the day for a performance well done. We wipe noses, tears and butts day after day, month after month, year after year. We comfort, cook, clean, cater, chaperone, chauffeur, congratulate, clam, caress, chase, cleanse, challenge, cajole, compliment and once a year receive a sweet card on that mother of all days.

If our kids don't forget.


I'm mostly kidding, but similar to Bad Hair Days motherhood can dish up some harried bad days! We've all been there: Leggos lodged between toes, Cheerios scattered on floors and chocolate pudding smeared on doors. Tempers, tongues and tears can't be tamed. We ride the ups and downs of child rearing (and potty training) like a never-ending seesaw. Sometimes we need a Time Out. But overall motherhood is the best job in the world and we wouldn't switch titles with anyone! The hugs, the kisses, the smiles, the laughter, the joy our children bring to our lives is priceless. We wouldn't trade these bountiful benefits for all the world's accolades and applause! (Do I hear an amen?)

I've only been a mommy for six years, but I'll never forget the day that title was bestowed on me: April 2, 2005. As I held my newborn in my arms I promised I would take good care of him, protect and unconditionally love him for the rest of his life.

And I meant every word.

That doesn't mean he never irritates the heck out of me. Sometimes he does.


That doesn't mean I don't lose my patience with him. Sometimes I do.


That doesn't mean he's perfect. He's not.

Neither am I.

Show me a perfect parent and I'll show you the Holy Grail. Not happening. Like mothers everywhere, I will make mistakes, fail and wish I had a gazillion do over make-up days accrued on my timecard. But I don't. That's why grace and forgiveness are so vital to our relationship. I must be an example of God's unfailing love and be willing to ask his forgiveness when I fall short. I must treat him with respect and dignity, as I would want to be treated. I must be willing to let him grow into the individual God created him and not try to stuff him into some preconceived mold. I mustn't clip his wings, so he's fearful to fly. I must become his greatest fan and advocate, so when life's blows try to knock the wind out of him, he'll know---beyond a shadow of a doubt---that someone stands in his corner, offers him a refreshing drink and won't let him fall. A little voice inside will whisper silencing all others, "Stand steadfast with your slingshot, son, and slay Goliath!"


If I want my precious boy to sprout wings soaring confidently into the unknown one day, I cannot do this alone. I must seek wisdom, discernment and guidance from my Heavenly Father daily. I need God's strength, grace and mercy. Some mornings I can barely open my eyes, let alone my Bible, so I'm grateful God covers me with His merciful blanket and doesn't expect perfectionism. I just do the best I can relying on His strength to guide me. Parenting is a huge responsibility. My most important job on earth will be:

 To point my son to the One who will forever wrap him in His loving arms, long after he's outgrown mine.

And I don't want to be caught sleeping on the job.


My child is bound to get under my skin and irritate the heck out of me like a nasty splinter. And sometimes I'll crawl beneath his flesh and poke and prod like nobody's business. Living within close proximity year after year it's inevitable we'll grate on each others nerves.

As his mother I must remember my character is being shaped, molded and refined just as I am trying to shape, mold and refine his character. I need to model Christ at all times, so he will grow to reflect and mirror Christ with his family one day. This can only be accomplished on my knees in humility and reverence before my Maker and by reading and obeying His Word.

Otherwise, as an imperfect person living in a fallen world, I am bound to make a mess out of motherhood.

So next time your little one (or big one) gets under your skin (or you get under theirs), remember you are both pearls in the making. Unlike gems that are mined from the earth, pearls are created from living organisms.

And no pearl is ever formed without a little irritant.

May we all display shimmering iridescence, luster and a soft inner glow so we become unlike any other gem on earth.

And our children have the freedom to grow likewise.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

"Fathers, provoke not your children [to anger], lest they be discouraged." Colossians 3:21


"Let us not love in word or speech but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:18

0 Spout:

Post a Comment