Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Colour My World

Today's the anticipated day. It's taken 21 and the kids in my son's class are so excited. After folders stack and backpacks hang, the eager beavers make a beeline for the incubator. Thirty-six peeps are piping.

I love Spring---the season of renewal and rebirth. If you live in a four-seasoned state, it's time to rejuvenate and refresh your spirit from a long, weary winter.  Time to put your best foot forward and show off those French manicured tootsies, twinkling toe rings and flower-frosted flip-flops that's aw-dun hibernatin'. Spring is in the air! Abysmal grays, browns and whites turn to Technicolor. Pansies, petunias and peonies spring up from soil softened by seasonal showers. Walking my son to school takes twice as long. The crocus, tulips and lilies--all designed to distract--demand my undivided attention. The lilacs catch me off guard. I do an about face and stick my nose where it belongs. Their scent sends my spirit soaring faster than nose-diving spinsters during a bridal bouquet toss.

Soon sunscreen will replace schoolbooks, popsicles replace pencils and happy dances replace homework. My son will beckon my undivided attention like a gardenia-garnished garden. Fortunately, I'm prepared. I've stocked up on puzzles, craft supplies and chapter books to entertain when we're not at the pool, park or panting in the humidity. He'll also attend summer camp twice a week, so I can catch up on my artwork and writing jobs while he enjoys bus-toting excursions with his peers.

As a list maker and goal setter I've also written my summer To-Do's. However, they aren't your usual tasks like pull weeds, organize garage or paint deck. Yes, those need to be scratched off. But what tops my summertime list is to add more color to my life:

Plant marigolds, daisies and daffodils.
Paint my toenails key lime.
Poke a pinwheel in my yard.
Buy a sunflower to display in vase.
Pour red hummingbird juice into feeders.
Wear lemon, tangerine and watermelon-toned tank tops.
Make strawberry bread and homemade ice cream.
Blow Crayola colored bubbles with my son.
Create artwork full of vibrant violetbrilliant blue and calming crimson.

I want a rainbow-filled summer this year.

Winter has passed; it's been gray for far too long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.” psalm 126:5-6

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

"The joy of the Lord is my strength." Nehemiah 8:10


1 Spout:

I LOVE colors!!! What a neat perspective!

Post a Comment