Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bitter Pills


I recognize her gray hair and cringe. We share the neighborhood. She walks shoulders hunched clasping toddler's hand. They cross pavement. She is silent, but her voice is familiar. Her rages penetrate walls and echo down quiet streets. Too often.

School buses arrive to transport students home. I park as the two draw closer. I pray for courage to approach, if led, but hope I'm not. I close car door as they walk in front. I am brave. "Do you remember me?" I smile and rub the toddler's shiny ebony bangs. She grins and nods. I tell her, "You're so sweet."

The grandma mutters, "No she's not."

Her words hit me like a lightning bolt. Did I hear correctly? "What?" I ask, staring at the lady's wrinkled face. "No she's not," she replies matter of fact, confirming my hearing's intact. Despite shock, I keep smiling and rub the toddler's bangs again, "Oh, yes you are. You're sweet, aren't you?" Grandma speaks as if sharing a secret, "Looks can be deceiving." I want to cover the girl's ears.

No child's heart deserves poisonous darts.

I focus on the one who has no voice, "You've always been nice to me, haven't you?" I hope she clings to my affirmative words like a buoy when that tight grasp is released. The grandma retorts, "You don't have to live with her." I look straight in her squinted eyes and say as lovingly as possible, "That's MEAN!" She continues without blinking, "She can be SPITEFUL."

Her lips stiffen. My skin crawls.

This bitter pill is hard to swallow.

"But she eats stuff like that up whenever anyone says it." I sense the urge to inquire about Susie Sunshine's childhood, but I refrain. Her actions speak louder than words.

I extend grace. "Must be a handful taking care of all these kids, huh?" There are four others under her ominous cloud whose wings are being clipped. "Yes, and then they want their mommy who's at work all day." She continues to avoid eye contact. "You love your grandma, huh?" The child nods. Grandma watches, then scowls. "No, she doesn't. Her brothers don't either, but that's OK."

I keep focusing my attention on the one who's never heard. 
I see my reflection.

I enter the school and wait for my son's kindergarten class to be excused. He runs toward me, "Mommy, look what I did today?" He hands me a crayoned picture I can't wait to hang on fridge. I smile and give him the biggest hug. We spend the afternoon playing games, giggling and eating ice cream.

As sun descends, I swoop up my son and his favorite froggy. I place them gently on our bed. "You can sleep with us tonight." He grins and shouts 'Wahoo!' Bouncing to his feet, he throws arms around mommy's neck and kisses cheek hard.

We rest on shared pillow as moonlight cascades.

I cherish these moments. Before I know it the sun will rise and he'll sprout wings leaving mama bird's nest...

To soar beyond.
With my unconditional love always within reach.

I pray all children learn to soar, despite life's bitter pills.
The view is so much better from above.
"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21


"Let's not merely say that we love each other' let us show the truth by our actions." 1 John 3:18 


"We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19


"These little ones believe in me. It would be best for the person who causes one of them to lose faith to be drowned in the sea with a large stone hung around his neck." Matthew 18:6


"Provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged." Colossians 3:21

0 Spout:

Post a Comment