Monday, April 25, 2011

Someone's Bugging Me

Call the exterminator.

I believe my home is being bugged.

The pastor shared something personal about me last Sunday. Gasp, it's true. And I'm peeved. He almost used the exact words I cried to God the day before: 'How can I learn to trust You, God, when I can't even see you? It's hard enough trusting people I CAN see.' Ahem. Like my pastor who's spilling the beans.

The more he spoke, the more I squirmed.

I looked around, and lo and behold, everyone was staring at me, including my pastor! The jig is up. I melted under the pew. Then I shook my head, rubbed my eyes and blinked to discover...

no one staring at me. 

Am I paranoid? Psychotic? Losing my marbles? How could he know my business? I would agree if this was a one-time occurrence, but it happens all the time. How does the pastor know what I'm thinking, feeling and going through? Every Sunday. There's only one logical conclusion:

My home must be bugged.

As soon as I slid into slippers, I searched every plant, lampshade, nook and cranny in my home. I even lifted my son's shirt hunting for that wire.

Yes, I'm kidding, but it makes me wonder: How does Pastor Tom know me so well? We've never exchanged more than pleasantries? No deep conversations. No tears shed at the altar. No passionate pleas. Ever. How does he  know my heart's cries? It's perplexing. It's confusing. It's got me scratching my head...

searching for a bug!

Ever happen to you? The pastor's sermon becomes a special meal handpicked off today's menu, complete with sweet tea and homemade apple pie a la mode for dessert?  It's uncanny. It's mind-boggling. It's supernatural. 

It's God.

The One who knows us intimately because He created us. He knit us together in our mother's womb. He formed us in His image. His eyes search our heart peering into every nook and cranny, every crevice and dark place yearning to heal, transform and renew. Like Paul Mitchell He wants to remove shades of gray, heal our split ends and get to the root of the problem. 

He may be invisible, but His love is always tangible.

He uses the hands, tongues and hearts of His earthly servants to remind us we are never alone, beyond reach or without hope.

Now that's the kind of bugs I want in my home.

"How blessed are those who have never seen me and yet have believed!" John 20:29


"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

"And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding." Jeremiah 3:15

0 Spout:

Post a Comment