Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Following the Footsteps of the Princesses

"Someba-deez got-ta nail dat girlz finz to da fla!"  Sebastien shook his red, crab head after his magnificent, musical flop of a sales pitch attempting to convince Ariel that life "Under the Sea" is far more appealing than life on land.  Ariel was making inconspicuous departures a habit as she sought out adventure, romance, and flighty dreams in the world above sea level.  Along with most of the other Disney princesses, Ariel set out to leave her happy home in order to find happiness somewhere over the rainbow


Yesterday I spent a good portion of my day with my head in the clouds.  When I finally snapped out of my dazed state, I could hear the words of Sebastian echo in my mind, "Somebody's got to nail that girl's fins to the floor!"  I have days where I cannot keep my feet on the ground for my head in the sky.  I glanced out my back door and observed a simple robin diligently gathering straw, grass, and mud in preparation for the new spring baby arrivals.  A cozy, little nest was under way!  The sweet bird did not complain, did not look stressed, did not seem to dread the responsibilities of parenthood that drew near.  I heaved a heavy sigh.  Why can't I be like that robin? 

Today, I'm kinda' wishing I could say that my feet are back on the ground and I am just as chipper as a robin making a nest on a beautiful spring day, but I can't.  I am still a little dazed.  Sometimes I get confused about balancing my personality traits (quirks, to be more exact!) and my responsibilities and how all that fits in with my relationship with Jesus.  I do not want to waste my time, efforts, and attention on straw, grass, and mud that do not last, but who's to say what's potentially lasting and what's not?  Someday soon I know those robin eggs will sure appreciate their cozy nest mama bird made.  And in a few short weeks, the baby robins will be eating, sleeping, and learning to fly from the home made of straw, grass, and mud.  The worth we place on things on earth does not always correlate with God's values, nor does it always line up with what it is worth to the people around us.

With my head in the clouds, my feet on the floor, and my heart occupied by the Lord, I take a one step forward and two steps back waltzing with my Father, the King.  For you see, I am His girl and I do not have to follow the footsteps of other princesses, for I am my own princess with my own story to tell.  Occasionally, I may need to explore those castles in the clouds or I may need to clean up the cheerios on the floor, but when it is all said and done, I must never ignore, discredit, or dethrone the King of my heart. my Lord, Jesus Christ.

1 Spout:

Love this post! Especially the part about 'the worth we place on things on earth does not always correlate with God's values, nor does it always line up with what it is worth to the people around us.' As moms, we need to remind ourselves the work we do every day is priceless! I'm sure you're like me and also do a lot of volunteering of your time and talents. I just look at it as working on God's timecard and He's keeping track on a heavenly level. That means more to me than possibly receiving a paycheck every week, although that would be nice, too! :-) It's rewarding to help others and know they appreciate it, but more importantly, our Heavenly Father does. Now that's definitely priceless.

Post a Comment