Sunday, April 17, 2011

Debbie Downer Days


I was asked to write an encouragement letter to my Bible study sisters this week and it isn't easy. My heart is heavy. Not only with the needs and prayer request of others, but for my own life as well. How do you write an encouragement letter when you feel like a Debbie Downer? How can I overflow to others when my well is empty and dry? It has become so clear to me this week: Oh, how we all need and crave encouragement!


"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:13


Admitting I need others is a huge obstacle I'm learning to overcome. A chaotic childhood taught me I can't rely on others. I can't trust others. I can only depend on myself. Even God can't be trusted.


But we know that's not true.


Ever seen a mustard seed? It’s miniscule and yet the Bible says if we have faith the size of it, we can tell a mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey us. I confess, I don’t have faith like that. In comparison, my faith is more like a grain of sand, most days.


Today is one of those days.


I feel beaten down. Crushed. Waves pummeling so fast I can't catch my breath.


I'm not impervious to life's tumultuous tide. That's why it's paramount I surround myself with powerful Scriptures that are a lifeblood to my battered heart. Placards, Post-its, index cards, whatnots, full of living, anointed words to remind me my God will never leave me or forsake me.


He wants this worrywart to focus on these truths, especially when roadblocks, obstacles and boulders try to block and blur my vision with anything but the truth. 


What detours, speed bumps or flat tires have careened your faith off course today? What Goliath needs slaying? What boulder is weighing on your heart? What wave keeps beating you down?


What Scriptures would help clear your vision and lighten your load? Surround yourself with them!


"My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body." (Proverbs 4:20-22 NIV).


My grain of sand Debbie Downer days will come and go, like the ebb and flow of an ocean's tide. Some moments I'll sail upon waveless seas, calm and peaceful without a ripple in sight. While other moments may find me in Tsunami's wake...shipwrecked, clutching a life vest, desperately praying for the Coast Guard to arrive before the sharks eat me alive. Those times when I feel adrift on a desolate sea---drowning and suffocating beneath heavy waves of doubt, discouragement and despair---I will focus on all the times God has been my faithful anchor in the past. Then I can trust and have faith, once again, that He won’t fail me in the present or future.


No matter how strong the winds blow and the waves come crashing down, He'll always steer me in the right direction and set my feet on solid ground.


Grasping His buoy of hope, His Word, keeps me afloat every time.


I will never let go. I'll just keep tightening my grip. White knuckles and all.



"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33


"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20 


"Everything is possible for one who believes." Mark 9:23


"More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope." Romans 5:3-4


"Jesus looked at them intently and said, 'Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matthew 19:26


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
“God’s truth – His Word – stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8
“God gives me power when I am worn out and strength when I am weak.” Isaiah 40:29
“God’s principles are perfect. They are entirely worthy of my trust.” Psalm 119:138
“Jesus keeps pruning me so that I will be even more productive for God.” John 15:2
“The water Jesus gives takes away my thirst altogether.” John 4:14
“I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God.” Psalm 139:14
 “I can never be separated from the love of God.” Romans 8:35-39
“As I draw near to God, He draws near to me.” James 4:8
“Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1
“Nothing can separate me from God’s love that is in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:39
“God satisfies me when I am thirsty and fills me with good things when I am hungry.” Psalm 107:9
“I keep God’s words in my heart. They are health to my whole body.” Proverbs 4:20-22
“It is God’s Spirit that gives me eternal life. My human effort accomplishes nothing.” John 6:63
“God is for me so no one can ever be against me.” Romans 8:31
“I defeat this evil world by trusting Christ to give me victory.” 1 Peter 5:5
“By God’s grace and through faith in Jesus, I have a full and eternal life.” Ephesians 2:8
“Through prayer, the peace of God guards my heart and mind.” Philippians 4:7
“I find strength in the Lord my God.” 1 Samuel 30:6
“God strengthens me because my heart is fully committed to Him.” 2 Chronicles 16:9
“I have rest in my soul because I go to Jesus when I am weary.” Matthew 11:28-29
“Because I have been born again, I will see the Kingdom of God.” John 3:3
“I do not fear because God strengthens me.” Isaiah 41:10
“I am full with the joy of the Lord.” Isaiah 42:10


0 Spout:

Post a Comment