Friday, March 18, 2011

Walking By Faith

Putting our heart in the hands of an invisible God takes enormous faith. Especially when the world labels us fools for doing so.  

I was 39 before I married. Marriage is a serious commitment and with a history of divorce in my family I was willing to wait for God's timing, not mine. Perhaps there was a little fear on my part, too, that needed addressing first. Divorce terrified me, so if I never got married I naturally would never face divorce. One could say I was over protective of my heart. That happens sometimes when your father isn’t around to watch you grow up and sister-in-law portraits rotate on-and-off walls faster than blades in a blender. Seven times, in fact, by three males. Yes, I was jaded. The odds were against my getting married, or staying married, for that matter. 

But, somehow, as a Christian I held onto faith, and hope, that I would beat the odds. Articles I read would state: “…demographic research predicting that white, college-educated women who failed to marry in their 20s faced abysmal odds of ever tying the knot. According to the research, a woman who remained single at 30 had only a 20 percent chance of ever marrying. By 35, the probability dropped to 5 percent.
Even NEWSWEEK reported that a 40-year-old single woman was “more likely to be killed by a terrorist” than to ever marry.”

Daunting and depressing words, sure. 

If I believed them.

If I believed the media (or those who thought I’d never walk that matrimonial aisle) I could have easily sunk into depths of despair. I could have forgotten that I serve a majestic God who makes the implausible, possible. He lifts boulders from tombs. He slays Goliaths. He parts seas. He makes the lame walk. He gives blind men vision. He makes the deaf hear. He raises the dead. He walks on water.

He hears my lonely heart's prayers.

There is:
no problem too big….
no boulder too heavy.
no wave too large.
no giant too tall…
FOR OUR GOD!

A God who decided I would not be a spinster. A God who would bring a loving, caring, Christian man into my life against all odds. A man I plan to spend the rest of my life with.
Where would I have been as a single woman without hope or faith to dispel fear and doubt?

What fears or doubts are you facing today? What Goliaths need slaying? What boulders need removing? Are you believing God's Word today and trusting His promises? Walk by faith and not sight and see what miracles can happen in your life today! That's the kind of God we serve.
"Jesus looked at them intently and said, 'Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.' " Matthew 19:26

 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. (Isaiah 55:8)

0 Spout:

Post a Comment