Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Smallest Gift

When you think about the gifts and talents that God has blessed you with, do you think that your gift is too small to make a difference? Do you think that someone else can do that job better than you? Do you wonder why God gave you that gift and not the gift your neighbor has? I have asked these same questions and more until I re-read the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand. I am not sure how many times I have heard and read this story but this time my eyes were opened to see beyond the miracle to the powerful lesson on stewardship and obedience.

When Jesus realized that there was a large crowd coming towards Him, He asked His disciples “Where shall we buy bread for these people?” The disciples responded in dismay, “That would take eight months of a man’s wage!” Jesus persisted and asked them what they did have...thus entered one little boy willing to answer the call for food. He was not afraid to step forward and say, “Here, You can use what little I have.” If one little boy had lunch for himself, I would guess that many others had lunch for themselves. Yet they were unwilling to answer the call of the Lord. They may have reasoned that they had so little, why bother to even offer what they had. On the other hand, they may have thought that someone else could supply that need. How many times have we rationalized in similar ways?

As the story continues, Jesus indeed was able to feed the five thousand (plus many more counting the women and children) and still had food left over! Jesus did not demand the impossible from his disciples; He only asked them to give what they had. Jesus then did the impossible with what He was given. If one little boy can share his five loaves and two fish and God can feed the five thousand, what do you think He can do with your gifts?

All God asks of us is to bring our gifts to the table and let Him do the miracles. Are you willing to step forward and say: "Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. I will go, Lord, if you lead me." (Here I am Lord, by Dan Schutte)

2 Spout:

Great reminder, Jennifer! Thanks!

Such an encouraging post! Love it! So true...

Post a Comment