Thursday, March 10, 2011

Candy Land vs. Promised Land


He throws up his hands in defeat and mumbles, “I quit.” (He’s prone to give up before crossing the finish line.) My kindergartner hates losing, especially when candy’s involved. After all, it’s Candy Land. Gum drops await the champion.

I encourage him—as any good Mommy would—that the game’s not over yet. There’s still a chance he could win. The odds are not in his favor, mind you. I’m just one hop away from the rainbow ending and gum drop bounty; he’s 35 paces behind. And it’s my turn. The odds of my drawing an undesirable card are about 10%. I encourage him nonetheless. Then I draw...

an undesirable card.

The peanut.
Which pumults me 64 spaces backwards.

Ten spaces behind his spot. He perks up. Hope is restored. A few cards later and he’s popping gum drops into his mouth. We both smile.

Maybe my son learned a lesson today about perseverance.

Who knew, even in Candy Land there are lessons to be learned.

My prayer for my son is that he won’t become a quitter. That he’ll keep his eye on the prize and never give up in defeat. Life is difficult and running the good race Christ has set before us is filled with many obstacles. May he have Goliath faith like David and slew every giant; like Peter to skip over every wave; like Noah adding planks beneath a dry sky; like Moses trusting God will part tumultuous seas and bring dry land. I pray he will fight the good fight, persevere and cross the finish line that leads to the eternal Promised Land and a bounty of heavenly treasures beyond his wildest dreams.

Where gum drops will pale in comparison.
"Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love Him..." 1 Corinthians 2:9-10

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7

1 Spout:

I love this post!!! What a motivation to persevere!

Post a Comment