Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To Be Honest

When I started writing for the women's newsletter at church, I chose to name my column "To Be Honest".  I was and I still am convinced that we can always relate to someone who is honest, one who does not sugar coat the message until it is completely unrecognizable or impersonal.  So I have decided....to be honest.

Honestly, I have not been honest when I write lately.  I have been more concerned about producing a piece of literature that ultimately brings my name fame, than I have been concerned for God's name to be accentuated far above my own.  I asked myself, "Would I keep writing, performing, doing, etc. if there was nothing in it for me?   What if I did not get any credit?  What if no one remembers my name?"  Sadly, I am plagued with the spiritual cancer of pride and it comes between my God and me.  For instance, why am I distracted by the thought of what the person beside me in church might think of my voice rather than just singing for God and Him alone?  Instead, I miss the opportunity to give the Father what He deserves, because basically I am obsessed with myself.  I wish I could say this is a struggle of the past and I am free from the chains of pride, but I cannot say that.  I am in the midst of battling the ridiculous temptation of a temporary acclaim to the limelight and the whole-hearted devotion to eternally glorify Jesus Christ, my Creator, Savior, and King.  Why my dilemma?  It seems so obvious.  Then why is it so hard?

It stands to reason that humility is the antithesis of pride.  Beth Moore says that humility is facing reality--to be honest with yourself, seeing God for who He is and seeing yourself for who you are.  When we have a proper perspective of God then we see who we are in comparison to Him.  Therefore, a humble heart knows nothing but to credit the one to whom credit is due.

If tomorrow, no one remembers my name, but they remember Jesus because of me, is it worth it?


The high and lofty one who inhabits eternity, the Holy One, says this: "I live in that high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble. I refresh the humble and give new courage to those with repentant hearts.
~Isaiah 57:15~

0 Spout:

Post a Comment