Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thank God for Twigs

Sitting in the pew I feel uncomfortable. My heart, not my tush. It's the lukewarm sermon. I hate the lukewarm sermon. Why? Because I always feel lukewarm when I hear it. I know it's time to turn the heat up a notch or two and I'm resistant.

"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Rev. 3:16.

My heart cries, "Lord, please don't count me among those spewed!"

This was me a few years ago.

Ever sink into a tepid bath? Doesn't soothe aching muscles. Ever gulp a fountain's warmth? Doesn't quench a  parched tongue.

I know what lukewarm is when I don't want it to be and it's not soothing. Not quenching. Not satisfying.

It's like trying to squeeze into my size 6 Calvin Kleins : un-com-for-table!

A few glances around my home and you'll realize I'm all about comfort. My chairs, my bed, my clothes, my shoes all scream comfort. Even my freezer is stocked with a myriad of boldly-colored ice cream treats in various shapes and sizes, all there to bring me comfort no matter what the season, hot or cold.

Ice cream comfort.

I scream comfort.

However, too much comfort breeds complacency. Maybe that's why mama bird fills her nest with twigs, to encourage her young to scorn the nest, spread wings and soar.
Somehow, this chick's wings became clipped. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months, months into years and my Bible remained closed.

~ Gasp ~

My token prayers---mostly before meals---became fewer, infrequent, non-existent. I started to become irritable, inpatient, intolerant with absolute strangers and those I absolutely loved.  My daily actions became like coffee beans---daily grind---guided not by the Holy Spirit, but by my feelings, emotions, moods. Not good.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23.

I was fruitless. Not entirely, but mostly. Mary Janes grew heels climbing Sunday School steps, yet somewhere a little girl got lost along the way. Maybe too much catechism? Too much coddling? Too much comfort?

Ugh. Lukewarm.

I don't want to "do" church, "do" Christian, "do" lukewarm. I want to "be" church, "be" Christian, "be" on fire. Not just Sunday, but 24/7.

Time to turn the dial, blow those embers, fan those flames.

Time for heels to start kicking and wings to soar.

Time to bear some: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.


Time to thank God for twigs.

Click to hear Keith Green's song: "Make My Life A Prayer to You."

John 14:16-17: “And I will pray to the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever."

The word "comforter" means "one to run to our side and pick us up."

Lord, hold me so close that I never stop hearing your heartbeat.

0 Spout:

Post a Comment