Monday, February 28, 2011

Seek

God designed us with a the desire to be satisfied. Unfortunately, in our humanity we attempt to quench our soul's thirst with everything but Him. Are we not already seeking satisfaction? Why not switch gears and put all our efforts into passionately seeking satisfaction in the Lord? I have been fooled into thinking that the gift of salvation is supposed to satisfy the unreachable corners of my heart. Beth Moore believes that salvation is a gift that we receive, but satisfaction is something we actively pursue. A satisfying contentment in our relationship with God does not just happen while we sit passively, hoping that God will force it into our lives. Satisfaction is a conscious and intentional effort that requires us to actively seek the Lord through our ordinary day and in the our weakest moments. In fact, it is a decision, a committment.

Then they entered into a covenant to seek the LORD, the God of their ancestors, with all their heart and soul. All were happy about this covenant, for they had entered into it with all their hearts. Eagerly they sought after God, and they found him. And the LORD gave them rest from their enemies on every side. 2 Chronicle 15:12,15

Is this just me or can anyone else identify? I am at home with my three young children, the phone rings, the washing machine has a nervous breakdown, the entire house is shaking and it sounds like our house is going to collapse. Then the three and five-year old are in a yelling frenzy over who had it first, while the one year old is clinging to my leg with tears rolling down his cheeks, screaming at the top of his lungs for me to pick him up. And if that is not enough, the timer goes off and the casserole in the oven is done, so I turn towards the oven and realize that the pot of chicken on the stovetop is boiling over. At that moment, all I can think, do, or say is "I need coffee!" Please tell me that I am not the only person in the world that tries to find something on this blessed earth to make me get through those chaotic, out of control moments!

I have a proposition. Do you want to join me in trying something new, ladies? Next time, when our little world falls apart, let's commit to change one simple thing. Instead of seeking satisfaction in a candy bar, a Coke, the Internet, a cup of coffee, a Romance novel, a shopping spree, cleaning the house, calling our best friend, you-name-it, let's seek the Lord. We are already putting forth the energy to find something that will alleviate our inner turmoil, why not just switch gears and put that same amount of energy into something that will authentically satisfy our desperate, emaciated, thirsty souls. Seeking the Lord may look different for each of us.  So for starters, the next time we feel like our home is falling apart, let's resort to something as basic as just saying the name of Jesus out loud, praying, reading the Bible for a moment, or turning on a worship song.  Let's seek the Lord!

What are other practical ways we can seek the Lord when we need to the most?
Seek the LORD while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near. Isaiah 55:6

I said, `Plant the good seeds of righteousness, and you will harvest a crop of my love. Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the LORD, that He may come and shower righteousness upon you.'
Hosea 10:12

1 Spout:

Yes, I will join you in seeking the Lord!!!
"Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:12-13

Post a Comment