Thursday, January 6, 2011

One-Year Guarantee


Today I face another blank page.
Another blank day.
Another blank year.

All waiting to be filled. A new calendar, not yet penciled in, hangs nearby. I face the unknown with empty slates. That scary unknown. I don't like not knowing what's around that bend. So I rabidly ink in the blanks staring back at me with appointments, meetings, deadlines, parties, vacations, Bible studies... The moments I can foresee, manage and call the shots. The Control Freak in me breathes easier. At least for now.

Many latest-and-greatest gadgets sold during Christmas offered a One-Year Guarantee. What if our new year did? "This certificate guarantees each recipient will experience no pain, tears, broken heart, sickness, failure, bills..." Wow! Wouldn't that be wonderful? That certainly would be worth blasting celebratory fireworks New Years Eve.

But reality doesn't work that way. So this worrywart's only guarantee is:

My home will not be spit spot. I will yell at my son. I will frustrate my spouse. I will consume more calories, computer hours and cable channels than I should. I won't measure up to all those mommy yardsticks reminding me I'm falling short every day. I won't open my Bible, my wallet or heart as much as I should. I will fail. I guarantee it.

But I can also guarantee at years end I will be a better me. I'm certain because I will focus less on myself, my shortcomings and failures and more on my Creator, whose mercies are new every morning---thankfully, not just once a year. There will be births, deaths; marriages, divorces; promotions, layoffs. More highs and lows than the stock market. Life will go on and the earth will spin regardless of the plans, agendas and goals I set. Tides, temperatures and diapers will all change, but these truths will remain constant:

My Jesus and His promises.

With Him I can face all uncertainty with courage, confidence and peace.

He will never fail you or me.

He's our LIFETIME and ETERNAL warranty.

And that's better than a One-Year Guarantee any day of the week.
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done," Phil. 4:6
"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes," James 4:14
Book I'm Reading: 






0 Spout:

Post a Comment