Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stepping Out

When first approached about this blog, it didn't take me long to realize what I wanted my theme to be about. For me, life has always been like a series of stepping stones that cross a seemingly endless river. If you don't use the stones, you'll be swept away by the current. But, at the same time, you may not see the path that stones are taking you on. Instead of being a straight, direct line from point A to point B, the stones seem to circle and backtrack and wander. The hard part is trusting you'll get to that distant shore someday, even though it may take a lot longer than you would like, and you may end up on a completely different route than you would have chosen to travel.

For years, one of my favorite quotes has been this:

When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen; you will be given something firm to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.

How true is that when you think of the stepping stones in your own life? Have you come to a point where you are at the end of all the light you know? Are you standing there, one foot over the darkness, wondering what will happen next? Faith is knowing that God will provide the next step in one way or another. You may only get that one little step, but you will get that. And then another. And another. And another.

I am excited to be on this journey with you. Right now I'm standing here, stepping into the darkness of an unknown moment, and confident that whatever happens, I will be given exactly what I need. The road I am traveling is anything but straight. I have backed up and twisted around more times than I can count! Sometimes, instead of stepping into the darkness, I have run backwards toward the more familiar stones. But somehow, slowly, I edge toward the unknown again and face the great adventure of life.

One step at a time.

Will you step with me?

0 Spout:

Post a Comment