Friday, September 24, 2010

Self

This week at church we were challenged to "be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10). For me, this is easier said than done. Everyday I wear a bracelet with this exact Scripture written on it; yet I fail to be still before Him. I am not sure that stillness is even in my vocabulary! I would even dare to say that I am rarely still when I am sleeping.

Being still is one way to be good steward of our bodies which belong to God. Furthermore, being good stewards is an important way to honor God.


Here is an example of what my daily "to do" list looks like:

Work
Cook
Laundry
Wash dishes
Vacuum
Pay the bills
Baths
Story time
Put the kids to bed
etc, etc, etc

It is no wonder that Job 3:26 resonates within me: "I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil" (Job 3:26). If I have any time at the end of the day, I might take some time to sit quietly before God. Usually, however, I pull something off of the long to do list. Where does time with God fall on your "to do" list?

If we truly wish to honor God by being a good steward of our bodies, then we need to take care of ourselves. How might our day pan out if we first prayed to God, took a shower and ate a healthy breakfast. I have a feeling that we would be able to tackle the rest of the day with a more godly attitude.

I challenge you this month to find a way each day to be still before God. It can be as easy as : praying, reading the Bible or taking just 15 minutes sitting in silence.

Let me know how you do and I will do the same.

1 Corinthians 3:16
Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

0 Spout:

Post a Comment