Thursday, September 2, 2010

Rollercoaster Ride

Anyone else out there a word person? I love words; especially words that encapsulate [speaking of great words] a wide spectrum of meaning and description. Come to think of it, I gravitate towards words that describe an attribute that I either closely identify with or one that I wish would describe myself. The word STEADY is an adjective that seems to be the complete antithesis of my state of mind these last few weeks. One minute I am emotionally 'up' and the next thing I find myself shot 'down'. For moments I will be floating on Cloud 9 and the next instant I am wallowing in discouragement and sour melancholy. In fact, steady is the last word I would use to characterize myself; and yet, I regard the word steady as an amiable quality.

I am going to be transparently real. My emotional rollercoaster has been completely based on my perception of what I think people think of me. One moment I feel encouraged by someone's uplifting words and the next moment I feel like I have let somebody down. Do you ever feel like you are on a rocky boat tossed around by the opinions and messages that you are getting from the people around you? Just yesterday I thought to myself, 'I have such a fragile spirit'; everything around me sends me on a loopty-loop or rickety climb around and up life's Scream Machine and I cannot seem to find a steady place to remain emotionally grounded.

At the revelation and realization of my fragile spirit's condition, the Word of God resonated in my mind "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline"(2 Timothy 1:7). Ah-ha! I am riding the unncessary and inappropriate rollercoaster of life that is bound in fear; I am living in fear of what people think and trying to please others instead of living in and for God.
Psalms 56:3-4 declares, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"
If God has given us a spirit of power, love and self-discipline and man is not a threat, then by that power I must decide to abort all fear, abandon the world's version of approval, and choose to stand on Christ the solid rock, unwavering and steady. This strength can be accomplished in the good news that God approved Jesus' sufficient so that I might stand approved by God in Christ alone.

Psalm 40:2-3 "He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clayand He set my feet upon a rock...He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praiseto our God..."

Romans 8:31,37-39 : "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who
is against us?...But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who
loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels..nor powers...
nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which
is in Christ Jesus our Lord!"

0 Spout:

Post a Comment