Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lasting Fruit


"I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 5:15
I most ardently desire to make a positive mark on this world; I want to leave a lasting impression. I am convinced that we all, the entire human race, are innately designed with a surging passion to seek significance and value as influencers and contributors in this world. Not just to make a common mark, we want to leave a legacy, something that withstands the test of time. When I read John 5:15, I, therefore, face a crossroads--a crisis of reality--and confess that I take a hesitant pause to consider my next step.

How many times do we try to do something for God without God? I have heard it explained that we are the glove and God is the hand that uses the glove to do the work; essentially, we are powerless without the divine enabling of God, and our efforts are in vain if we independently attempt to achieve great things for God.

I would love to segue here and offer a grounded, hopeful, encouraging solution to my mental obstacles when struggling with the idea that I am powerless in my own strength, unable to do anything by my own efforts. On the contrary, I would prefer to open the floor for comments: How do you find peace and comfort knowing that apart from God you can do nothing? How do you wholly abandon yourself to God and cling to Him in desperate dependence knowing that He is the only One who can use you to make lasting impressions?

2 Spout:

I feel quite comforted in knowing that things are not up to me. Now, when I actually pray and ask for direction (instead of just doing my own thing) there is great peace in waiting for direction.

That's a comforting thought, April!

I thought I'd share with everyone Brooke's personal blog post link that spoke directly to me in regards to my questions on this post. Check out her everyday illustration of God's simple Truth that brings comfort in knowing that we can do nothing apart from Christ, visit http://loveinourhome.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/purple-ink-on-my-handkerchief/ to read her insight.

Post a Comment