Thursday, August 12, 2010

GOD’S GIFT OF GRANDPARENTING

“Perfect love does not come until the first grandchild ~ Welsh Proverb
“Nobody can do for little children what grandparents can do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” ~ Alex Haley
I have enjoyed each phase of life: school, marriage, parenting, empty nest and now- grandparenting! So many of you have shared your joy of grandparenting with me. The circle of life really is a miracle that constantly reminds me of the greatness of our God.

I vividly remember my own grandparents who lived just down the road from us on the farm, even though they left this earth over forty years ago. They were a vital part of my life and gave me so many beautiful memories. But what I remember most is their godliness and the love and adoration they had for me and all of their grandchildren. They always made me feel so special.

Grandparents really do play a big role in shaping their grandchildren’s lives, for good or bad. They always have. Almost 2,000 years ago, Paul attributed his young protege Timothy’s faith partly to the example of Timothy’s grandmother, Lois.

Knowing that grandparents help shape their grandchildren’s lives, I find myself theorizing about the best way to impact my granddaughter, Addyson, for the good and above all for God. Grandparenting is more complex than when I was a child. With technology, computers, TV, DVDs, texting, Twitter, Facebook, Ipods, headphones, etc., I realize it will be difficult to keep up with their world.

I have set a few goals and reminders for myself that I would like to share with you and perhaps you can hold me accountable.

I want to remember that my children are the real parents. As a grandparent I want to be a positive presence offering advice only when asked. I will do my best to affirm my adult children and pray for them especially in areas of concern. Meddling can be a big problem.

I want to be intentional in developing a relationship with my grandchild. A positive relationship will not develop naturally. I must take the initiative and take time to have fun.

I want to look for opportunities to talk with my grandchild about her relationship with God; as well as, quietly counteract our culture’s negative influences.

I want the Bible to be my guide and to pray for her daily.

I know Addyson will be so blessed to grow up with God’s wonderful people here at SOCC. Thanks so much for your support in this new adventure of grandparenting!

1 Spout:

I believe grandparents that build a strong, respectable relationship with their grandkids when the children are young, have the potential of being one the greatest influences on the grandchild as a teenager. I heard John Maxwell speak on this subject on a Focus on the Family episode. What an exciting journey of grandparenting you've begun!! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment